CompanyMiller Timber Services, Inc
DescriptionAre you physically fit, mentally tough and curious to discover your limits? Do you have a desire to defend people's homes and our natural resources? Would you like to travel while working an exciting job? Then come join Miller Timber Services elite Wildland Firefighting program!
Miller Timber Services, Inc. is a professional forestry and emergency service company with over 30 years of experience. Wildland Firefighters that work for Miller Timber Services, Inc. are hardworking, dependable, self-disciplined individuals with a willingness to perform the challenges at hand. The company prides itself in providing professional highly trained wildland firefighting contract crews. Through discipline, determination and dedication, our wildland firefighters consistently receive high marks for their performance while on assignment.
All candidates must be at least 18 years of age and in excellent physical condition. Firefighters are expected to safely work long days in difficult environmental conditions, including steep terrain, extreme temperatures, high altitudes, and smoke. All candidates must complete a physical fitness test consisting of a three mile hike with a 45 pound pack in less than 45 minutes. Upon completion, candidates will be enrolled in an employer sponsored instructional course.
Duties include but not limited to:
* Contain, control and suppress wildland fire
* Rapid on-call deployment preparedness for wildfire and emergency incidents
* Utilize hand tools and equipment, such as Pulaski, shovel, hazel hoe, ax, and chainsaw
* Perform basic fire line activities including line construction, moving dirt, hose layout, cut, scatter, and removal of fuels using hand tools
* Coordinate as an organized crew during wildfires and prescribed burns holding line, patrolling, monitoring fire behavior, and performing mop-up operations.
* Operate outdoors in remote and rugged conditions with extended travel and overnight camping
* Abide by all safety standards to mitigate risk while on assignment
Miller Timber Services, Inc. has established a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy and requires pre-employment drug screening. Despite Oregon's legalization of marijuana in 2015, marijuana is an illegal drug under federal law. Miller Timber Services, Inc. holds federal contracts an must comply with federal regulations which prohibit the use of marijuana, including medical marijuana.
Wildland firefighting are seasonal on call positions. Historically the active wildfire season has been June through early October, making it the perfect summer job, but as stated earlier we could be called out any time during the year.
Entry Level $12.00 + $4.27 (Health and Welfare for the 1st 40 hours) per hour. $18.00 per hour in overtime.
Experienced: Depending on experience.....please call to inquire.
We offer a 40 hour classroom course or an online option. Both require the pack test and a 1 day field day. Please call for more information at 541-929-2840
Or apply in person at:
Miller Timber Services, Inc.
24745 Alsea Hwy
Philomath, OR 97370
"The Miller Timber Way" Hard work, Dedication and a Commitment to Excellence
Related University of Oregon Jobs Listings
CONTINUE JOBS SEARCH
GET NEW LISTINGS DELIVERED DAILY
UNIVERSITY OF OREGON Part-Time Jobs NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUniversity of OregonOregon State UniversityPortland State UniversityCentral Oregon Community CollegeChemeketa Community CollegeEugene Bible CollegeUmpqua Community CollegeSouthern Oregon UniversityRogue Community CollegeReed CollegePacific UniversityNorthwest Christian CollegeLewis & Clark CollegeLane Community CollegeLinfield CollegePortland Community CollegeLinn-Benton Community CollegeConcordia UniversityEastern Oregon UniversityGeorge Fox UniversityMarylhurst UniversityOregon Health & Science UniversityOregon Institute of TechnologyThe Art Institute of PortlandUniversity of PortlandWestern Oregon UniversityWillamette UniversitySouthwestern Oregon Community CollegeMt. Hood Community CollegeColumbia Gorge Community CollegeKlamath Community College Oregon Coast Community College Portland Community College- Rock CreekPortland Community College-Cascade
- By State
- By City